Become an Art Upmarket retailer
We are looking for WA’s best artists, who want to connect with art enthusiasts, to join us at our art upmarket!
2021 Applications now open!
What Is Perth Art Upmarket?
The Art Upmarket is the second little sister to the Perth Upmarket brand, joining Wedding Upmarket as an offshoot niche event. The Perth Upmarket is Perth’s premier quarterly market for handcrafted wares coming into its 10th year. We are a West Australian business and our vision is to help creative small businesses, like yourself, to thrive. We want to provide you with tools and support to help you before, on the day and well past the event. Here is what we think sets us apart from other markets and retail art opportunities :
- Our event is FREE for the public to attend on Saturday, so we anticipate attracting thousands of savvy art enthusiasts.
- We don’t take any commission… yes you heard right! There is NO central desk. You will need to handle your own sales. We recommend you consider a mobile payment device like PayPal or Square.
- Perth Upmarket is held on the picturesque grounds of The University of Western Australia – centrally located between the north and south of Perth and boasting loads of free parking.
- There is plenty of free parking at UWA. Being a Perth event, you don’t need to worry about airfares, shipping costs or accomodation like interstate events… unless you’re from the country.
- We attract high quality sponsors that help elevate our event to extend our reach.
- We have a private Facebook Group community where you can build ongoing business relationships with other retailers and where we share information and tips to help you maximise your day.
- We are a professional events team and pride ourselves on being highly organised including a central wrapping desk for customers to take away their purchases.
- Our aim is to make your day stress free and generate lots of sales but also as a marketing activity for sales after the event.
- Our events are curated – we hand pick a diverse mix of over 60+ artists in a range of categories and styles, to give customers choice and variety. You will be in good company.
- We spend hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars in executing our highly targeted marketing plan in order to attract the right people who are your target market are ready to do business with you.
- We care about our retailers and their success. Many of our Perth Upmarket retailers have worked with us and together for years and have become good friends.
- We include product and public liability insurance in the stall fee, so you dont need your own insurance to participate in this event.
Who Are We Looking For?
The Art Upmarket is different to an art exhibition or a gallery. It is about connecting art enthusiasts directly with local artists. It is about meeting the artists and learning the story behind the art. We expect each artists to have a good selection of art for customers to purchase and take away across the whole day. We understand that art is subjective. We will handpick artists that we feel are a good fit for the Perth Upmarket brand and limit the number in each category. This means that not everyone that registers or applies will be accepted. We have a two step process. All artists should register first for eligibility. If approved for the Eligible Retailers list, you may then apply for events. We do receive more applications than spots available.
More specifically, we are looking for artists that:
- create art here in WA. By art we mean original artwork or limited editions/prints/reproductions (over $100 in value each), three dimensional sculptures, fine art photographs (limited editions only), original drawings and illustrations, decorative ceramics/glassware. We will not be considering items such as jewellery, functional art like everyday ceramics, mass produced prints etc… if unsure, please ask. Original art or limited edition prints for sale from $100-$10000. We find that most customers are looking for art in the $500-$1500 price point, but we do have reported sales between $3000-5000+.
- operate a professional art practice
- have a high quality artistic ability, unique and stylish offering.
- offers a product that we think will appeal to our target market
- can professionally merchandise/curate and present their product at the event
- create the artwork themselves and have new work each event. At this stage we are not taking on agents or galleries as exhibitors but please contact us about Sponsorship opportunities.
- are active on social media and will help to promote the event
- have professional images that we can use to promote their presence at the event
- have enough stock to showcase across a 6 hour market.
We also consider where else the art is sold and how many other artists we have in each category/style.
NOTE: Not all registrations are approved. Based on the high number of applications we are unable to provide individual feedback on applications not accepted by our Art Upmarket. If you are not successful, you may only reregister only if you significantly change your offering.
Here’s What Some Of Our Retailers Have To Say:
What Do I Get If I Am Accepted?
As a Art Upmarket retailer, you will receive a number of very special things:
- Access to thousands of potential customers! – We normally attract around 2500-3500 shoppers to each Art Upmarket event. We have a detailed marketing plan that promotes the event as a art buying event and attracts the right target market.
- Your own space to sell your products and talk to customers in front of thousands of savvy shoppers. You are expected to be present at the event.
- A website listing in our retailer directory with a picture and link to your website to send traffic to you before and after the event.
- Your business name listed on our market map guide which is hosted online and given away on the day.
- Tools and support to help you drive traffic to your stall and be successful on the day and after.
- Access to our private Retailers Only Facebook group to network with other vendors and ask questions and invite to our pre-event info session
- Option for additional paid promotion through our digital channels to our large database which will extend your reach.
What’s The Cost & Stall Sizes?
The following fees are for all Art Upmarket are as follows. Prices may also change without notice.
Small inside 2mw x 1md $475
Medium inside 3mw x 1md $575
Medium plus inside 3m w + 2m one end (L shaped) $775 (5 spots only)
Large inside 3m + 3m= 6m wall L shape $995
Food or coffee outside 3×3 own marquee $410
Optional display board hire– We will place a bulk order for backing board prior to the event. The panels are 2.5m high and 1m wide to the ground and white. Panels will be delivered and set up in your space. We recommend you opt for at least 2 lights based on feedback from artists at previous events.
Approx board hire cost- Set of 8 Display boards for 3m + 3m L shape $440 , Set of 5 Display boards for 3m x 1.5m space $275 , Set of 4 Display boards for 2m x 1.5m small $215 Lighting $30 ea.
(Note: Board hire + fittings prices have increase by 10% in 2021 to reflect supplier price increases)
Wire to hang from the top with 1 hook is $2.75 ea. Additional adjustable hooks are $2.20 ea to hire. You can attach multiple hooks to the vertical wire.
Insurance – Product and public liability is included in the stall fee. We do not cover your product for damage or theft.
Power – Limited power is available. The venue has good natural light and house lights. Additional lighting can be provided at $30 per light and we recommend 2 lights. Outdoor power for food vendors is $50 for up to 3 connections.
Food retailers – Must have a current food permit with the City of Perth.
Wrapping– a wrapping station will be provided. We will supply wrapping materials and staff to wrap. You are welcome to wrap your own purchases.
Frequently Asked Questions
Art Upmarket FAQ
The Art Upmarket will be held on:
- Saturday 16th October 2021 from 10am-4pm
at The University of Western Australia’s Winthrop Hall Undercroft.
EARLY BIRD APPLICATIONS OPEN for Art Upmarket 2021 now open. First round assessments will occur end Feb 2021.
Art Upmarket Terms and Conditions
- All art offered for sale must be created and sold by the registered stallholder. We only accept original art and limited edition prints over $100 ea in value.
- You must be at the event, at your stall at all time (except for breaks of course)
- You must have enough stock to last for the whole event. You may put sold stickers on items if the customer is happy to collect at a later time.
- Only art listed on the current application form and approved by our administration team may be sold. If you wish to add new items to your stall, a request in writing with photos, must be approved. You may not sell other people’s goods.
- Copying the ideas and work of other artists may be in breach of creative copyright and is not in the spirit of the market. Any grievances must be in writing.
- Stalls cannot be transferred, sublet, franchised or sold to any other person, nor can they be shared without written approval.
- Stallholders must confine their displays and signs to the stall site and keep pathways clear for patrons and emergency exit.
- Raffle tickets may not be sold or competitions run unless pre approved by Perth Upmarket.
- No fixing or sticking anything to UWA building pillons or walls.
- Where a table is used, a floor length table cloth is required to cover all sides of any tables. Tables are not essential. Boxes, bags, crates etc must be out of sight.
- Stallholders using gas or electrical appliances must have a suitable fire extinguisher or fire blanket on site. Electrical leads must be tagged and tested by qualified tester every 3 months.
- Cancellation/ Refund policy – Notification of non-attendance of stalls is required. There are no refunds for cancellation or non attendance once invoice has been paid.
- No tents and covers allowed unless approved. Marquees must be white or navy and must be weighted down. Strictly no pegging into the ground.
- Stallholders are responsible for leaving their site and surrounding area clean and tidy. Boxes and cartons must be removed from market area – DO NOT use Market bins.
- It is the responsibility of the stallholder to trade in accordance with Market, State and Local Shire regulations. Food stallholders must be registered with each market’s local council and pay appropriate council permits. Obtaining and paying for a food permit before the event is the retailers responsibility.
- Loud product promotion by stallholders is not permitted. (including demonstration areas)
- Stallholders must be set up between 7am-10am (Sat) and ready to trade by 10am. Pack up must be completed by 5pm. Stalls must not pack up until the advertised closing time. This is both a safety issue and meeting our advertised obligations.
- Stallholder products and/or images of products and self may be used in various media to publicise Perth Art Upmarket, the event and future events. It is the retailers responsibility to ensure that any images provided are approved by the original photographer for our use. If permission is not sought any fees or royalties for the use of the image will be paid by the retailer.
- Strictly no parking or unloading on the footpath. No driving on the grass or non drop off areas. Stallholders must use the reserved bays allocated. No vehicles to be left onsite.
- Perth Upmarket has the right to withdraw the right to trade of any stallholder in dispute with Perth Upmarket or any persons. Right to trade will be only reinstated if the dispute is resolved to our satisfaction.
- Perth Upmarket accepts no responsibility for theft, loss or damages to persons, money or goods.
- Perth Upmarket takes no responsibility for weather conditions. Please come prepared for all weather conditions. Eg wind, rain, sun, heat etc.
- Insurance cover is compulsory. Proof of own insurance maybe be provided before the event or you may purchase one off event cover from us. Insurance exclusion – If you opt for insurance under the Perth Upmarket policy, please note that we do not have cover for body products or toys and cannot include you under our policy.
- The onus is on the retailer to make sure their products comply with the relevant Australian standards. Perth Upmarket takes no responsibility for products/retailers who fail to comply with these standards. It is vital that you are aware of the mandatory and legally binding safety standards associated with YOUR product and that they are labelled accordingly. All designers must check the relevant labeling guidelines/regulations pertinent to their product. Standards information can be found under the Product Safety Australia page on the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission website. Perth Art Upmarket has the right to reject any stallholder who they believe does not comply with the stated regulations.
- Force Majeure means the happening of an event (“FME”) or circumstance which: –
- Is beyond reasonable control of a party and prevents or delays that party from performing any of its obligations agreed between the parties;
- Could not have been avoided or overcome by that party by the exercise of reasonable foresight, care and due diligence; and
- Includes, but is not limited to: –
- An Act of God including but not limited to earthquake, flood, fire, explosion, landslide, lightning, action of the elements, force of nature, washout, storm or storm warning, natural disaster;
- Strike, lockout, boycott, work ban or other labour dispute or difficulty, or the venue owner deciding to cancel, restrict or alter a scheduled event;
- Acts of terrorism, civil disturbance, blockade, embargo, sabotage, insurrection, riot, malicious damage, epidemic, pandemonic, chemical leak, noxious atmosphere, war or acts of Government (State or Federal),
- But excludes: – hardship due to currency fluctuations; and
- Change in market conditions or market prices.
Should an FME occur: –
- The contract or agreement between the parties is terminated as and from the FME;
- The parties are released from performing any of their respective obligations under the contract or agreement following the FME;
- The occurrence of the FME does not affect any of the parties’ obligations under the contract or agreement prior to the FME;
- Neither party will be liable for losses incurred by the other party as a result of the contract or agreement being terminated; and
- Any payment made from one party to the other prior to the FME is non-refundable and neither party will be entitled to demand the refund of any monies paid.
You must agree to these terms and conditions to trade at Perth Upmarket. By registering, applying and paying for your stall you are agreeing to these terms and conditions.
Sorry, once spots are confirmed with payment we do not offer refunds.
Once your application is approved, usually within 2 weeks of the closing date, you will be informed of the size of your space. You will receive the actual stall position on a floor plan and bump in info the week prior to the event. If you have a specific request please include it on your application. We will do our best to accommodate.
Please remember that you are provided with a blank space. It is your responsibility to provide any structures such as backing boards, tables, easels, displays etc. It is always a good idea to mark out your space at home and do a trial set up before the event.
- ALL food retailers must be a registered food business with their local council and provide their certificate.
- If you are selling fresh food and drink for consumption on the day, you need to comply with the market stall food regulations and will be required to complete an application for Temporary Food Business the City of Perth. Council food safety officers can inspect the market at any time. This permit is your responsibility you will not be able to trade on the day if you don’t comply. No refunds will be given to retailers who fail to comply or get approval in time. Temporary Food Vendor Permit: $46 (plus inspection fees at $49 per inspection) (inc GST) for the 2019/20 financial year.
- Exhibitors offering tastings only for packaged food do not require a Temporary food permit with the City of Perth. (This is a special agreement we have for this event only.)
- ALL food retailers must completed the AHA Covid food safety course and provide their certificate.
Eligible retailers need to reapply for each event. To apply, simply check the dates when applications are open. Then LOG IN to our website in the top right hand corner and then click on the application form. The application form is a private page and only accessible for eligible retailers. To become an eligible retailer you must register first.
Unfortunately the market does not have access to any free wifi connections. You will need to use your mobile phone, eftpos machine or iPad for any paypal transactions.
Not all registrations are suitable. Due to the large number of registrations we receive, we are unable to provide individual feedback. We will send you advice via email about the status of your registration, either approved or declined. The email is a generic email that outlines some of the reasons why you may not be eligible to the next stage. Registrations are normally assessed within 7 days. Registrations for eligibility can be submitted at any time.
Applications for events
Applications for events are normally assessed within 2 weeks of the closing date or round offer. Every applicant will receive an email advising if they have been successful in securing a space or placed on the reserves list. Not all spaces offered are taken up and as spaces are cancelled we work through the reserves list to reallocate spaces. The number of other retailers in your category can impact on your chance of acceptance as well as how closely you rate on our eligibility criteria. Please check and apply within the open dates.
How do I get involved?
Joining Art Upmarket is a two step process:
Step 1: Register now to see if you qualify to go on our eligible retailers list. Once you register you will receive a response within 7 days as to your eligibility.
Please note that not everyone that registers is deemed the right fit for this event and may not be accepted. You can register at any time.
Step 2: If you are approved for the eligible retailer list you will be directed to APPLY for specific Perth Art Upmarket events directly.
Applications are only open for a fixed time so please check dates and apply during these times.
Please note that we receive many more applications for the event than spots available and we limit the number of retailers in each category. To increase your chance of securing a spot please:
- complete all questions on the application form.
- provide professional photos to showcase your work.
- include a photo of a past stall set up or sketch of what you are proposing.