Become a retailer
About Perth Upmarket
Founded in 2008, Perth Upmarket quickly established itself as Perth’s premier quarterly market for handcrafted wares. It brings together over 180 of Perth’s talented local artists, designers, stylists, craftsmen and gourmets all under one roof. The product mix is diverse including hand-made clothing, cupcakes, wall art, cards, homewares, jewellery, skin care products and more. All products at Perth Upmarket are made OR designed in WA. The market allows Perth shoppers, who appreciate hand-made, to connect with the talented creators. We’re a local business and we’re all about helping local creatives run successful, thriving businesses. Not only will we attract loads of the right kind of customers to you on the day, we help you maximise your day by providing you with tools and support to help you get the best value for your money. If you’re a local maker or designer with beautifully styled products, we’d love to hear from you. ~ Justine Barsley- Founder and Director
Essential info- Read this first!
Perth Upmarket is Perth’s premier quarterly market for handcrafted wares. We are a West Australian business and our vision is to help creative small businesses, like yourself, to thrive. We want to provide you with tools and support to help you before, on the day and well past the event. Here is what we think sets us apart from other markets:
- Our events are FREE to attend, so we attract thousands of savvy shoppers
- Perth Upmarket is held on the picturesque grounds of The University of Western Australia – centrally located between the north and south of Perth and boasting loads of free parking.
- We attract high quality sponsors that help elevate our event to extend our reach.
- We have a private Facebook group community where you build ongoing business relationships with other retailers and where we share information and tips to help you maximise your day.
- We have 3 ATM’s on site and plenty of free parking.
- We spend hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars in executing our highly targeted marketing plan in order to attract the right people who are your target market are ready to do business with you. Perth Upmarket has previously been featured on Sunrise, Air Asia inflight magazine, Tourism West Australia, WA Weekender, The West Australian and WA Business news to mention a few.
- We are a professional events team and pride ourselves on being highly organised.
- Our aim is to make your day stress free and generate lots of sales.
- Our events are curated – we hand pick over 180 of Perth’s best retailers, limiting the numbers in each category, to give customers choice and variety while minimising competition between exhibitors. You will be in good company.
- We care about our retailers and your success. We have many retailers who we have worked with for many years. Many have become great friends.
Hear why some of our retailers choose Perth Upmarket to sell their wares.
Perth Upmarket is a curated event which means we handpick the best and most creative designers, makers, artists and gourmets that we feel are a good fit for the Perth Upmarket brand.
More specifically, we are looking for creatives that:
> make or design their product here in WA
> have a high quality, unique and stylish product
> offers a product that we think will appeal to our target market
> can professionally merchandise and present their product
> demonstrates a high level of design and involvement in the creation of the product
> are active on social media and will help to promote the event
> have professional images that we can use to promote their presence at the event.
We also consider where else the product is sold and how many other retailers we have in each category.
NOTE: Not all registrations are approved. Based on the high number of applications we are unable to provide individual feedback on applications not accepted by Perth Upmarket. If you are not successful, you may reapply only if you significantly change your offering.
* Market date- Sunday 26th November 2017 – Applications open Mon 18th Sept 2017 / Close Monday 2nd October 2017
* Market date- Sunday 25th March 2018- Applications open Mon 27th Nov 2017 / Close Monday 16th Jan 2018 (extended due to Christmas break)
* Market date- Sunday 24th June 2018- Applications open Mon 26th Mar 2018/ Close Mon 9th April 2018
* Market date- Sunday 16th September 2018 – Applications open Mon 25th June 2018 / Close Mon 1st Oct 2018
* Market date- Sunday 25th November 2018 – Applications open Mon 17th Sep 2018 / Close Mon 1st Oct 2018
Applications generally open the day after the previous event for 2 weeks only. These dates may change. Please register to be informed of event application dates.
As a Perth Upmarket retailer, you will receive:
- Your own space to sell your products and talk to customers. You are expected to be present at the event at all times to talk to
- Website listing in our retailer directory with a picture and link to your website.
- Your business name listed on our market map which is hosted online and given away on the day.
- Tools and support to help you drive traffic to your stall, be successful on the day and after.
- Access to our private Retailers only Facebook group
- Option for additional paid promotion through our digital channels to our large database.
We normally attract around 10,000 shoppers to each Upmarket event. We have a detailed marketing plan that promotes the event as a shopping event and attracts the right target market.
Our market event stall fees vary depending on the size and positioning of the space.
The following fees are for all UWA Upmarkets. Pop Up event prices and offerings may vary. Prices may also change without notice.
- Veranda site (1.8m x 1.5m) $260
- Small site (2m x 1.5m) $275
- Small Corner (2m x 1.5m) $315
- Medium site (3m x 1.5m) $335
- Medium Corner (3m x 1.5m) $360
- Large outside site (3m x 3m) $395 (you must provide your own marquee)
- Large indoor site (3m x 3m) $570(limited number available)
*note Junior Upmarket stalls are 1.2m deep due to smaller venue size.
Other fees that may apply include:
New applicant fee – A one off $33 new applicant fee applies for all new applicants. This will be added to the first invoice and covers the additional cost of establishing a new retailer file.
Table hire – We can provide you with table hire at just $35 per table.
Insurance – Insurance is compulsory. If you have your own insurance, you may provide us with your policy details. Otherwise public and product liability insurance is available through us for just $33 per event.
Credit card and eftpos payment machine – We have negotiated special rates for PayPal. A one off fee applies to purchase the machine and then pay as you go for transactions processed. Ask us for more information if you become an approved retailer.
Power – Limited power is available for outdoor stalls. Cost is $35 for up to 3 connections.
Food retailers- Must have a current food permit with the City of Perth.
Retailer Terms and Conditions
1. All products offered for sale must be made & sold by the registered stallholder. Packaging only is not sufficient involvement. Stallholders who value-add to a product must provide significant creative input to the product and not just apply token additions.
2. Only products listed and approved by the management on the current application may be sold. If you wish to add new items to your stall, a request in writing, with photos, must be approved by the management. You may not sell other people’s goods.
3. Notification of non-attendance of stalls is required. No refund payable for cancellation.
4. Stallholders lose their eligibility if they cancel attendance and will need to reapply
5. Stalls cannot be transferred, sublet, franchised or sold to any other person, nor can they be shared without written approval.
6. Copying the ideas and work of other stallholders may be in breach of creative copyright and is not in the spirit of the market. Any grievances must be in writing.
7. Raffle tickets may not be sold or competitions run unless pre approved by Perth Upmarket.
8. Stallholders are responsible for leaving their site and surrounding area clean & tidy. Boxes & cartons must be removed from market area do NOT use Market bins.
9. Stallholders must confine their displays and signs to the stall site and keep pathways clear for patrons
10. No tents and covers allowed unless approved. Marquees must be white or navy and must be weighted down. Strictly no pegging into the ground.
11. No fixing or sticking anything to pillions or walls.
12. Floor length table cloth is required to cover all sides of any tables. Boxes, bags, crates etc must be out of sight.
13. Stallholders using gas or electrical appliances must have a suitable fire extinguisher or fire blanket on site. Electrical leads must be tagged by qualified tester every 3 months.
14. It is the responsibility of the stallholder to trade in accordance with Market, State and Local Shire regulations. Food stallholders must be registered with each markets local council and pay appropriate council permits. Obtaining and paying for a food permit before the event is the retailers responsibility.
15. It is the responsibility of the stallholder to ensure they conform to any Australian standards pertaining to their product.
16. Loud product promotion by stallholders is not permitted. (including demonstration areas)
17. Stalls must not pack up until the advertised closing time. This is both a safety issue and meeting our advertised obligations.
18. Stallholder products and/or images of products and self may be used in various media to publicise Perth Upmarket, the event and future events. It is the retailers responsibility to ensure that any images provided are approved by the original photographer for our use. If permission is not sought any fees or royalties for the use of the image will be paid by the retailer.
19. Stallholders must be set up between 7am-10am and ready to trade by 10am or 9am for VIP hour days. Pack up must be completed by 5pm.
20. Strictly no parking or unloading on the footpath. No driving on the grass or non drop off areas. Stallholders must use the reserved bays allocated. No vehicles to be left onsite.
· Perth Upmarket accepts no responsibility for loss or damages to persons, money or goods.
· Perth Upmarket has the right to withdraw the right to trade of any stallholder in dispute with Perth Upmarket or any persons. Right to trade will be only reinstated if the dispute is resolved to Management satisfaction.
· Perth Upmarket has the right to reject any stallholder who they believe does not comply with the stated regulations.
· Perth Upmarket takes no responsibility for weather conditions. Please come prepared for all weather conditions. Eg wind, rain, sun, heat etc.
· Proof of insurance cover must be provided before the event otherwise set up may be refused.
21. Please note that certain categories are stringently regulated by the ACCC; these include fire warnings on children’s sleep ware, choking hazards, items for children under 3, food products and combustible candle holders. It is vital that you are aware of the mandatory and legally binding safety standards associated with YOUR product and that they are labelled accordingly.
All designers must check the relevant labeling guidelines/regulations pertinent to their product. Standards information can be found under the Product Safety Australia page on the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission website http://www.productsafety.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/970225
The onus is on the retailer to make sure their products comply with the relevant standards. Perth Upmarket takes no responsibility for products/retailers who fail to comply with these standards.
22. Candle Retailers – All retailers with a lit candle display must be have an outside stall due to insurance requirements. If you don’t light your candles then you are able to have an inside stall.
23. Cancellation/ Refund policy- There are no refunds for cancellation or non attendance once invoice has been paid.
24. Insurance exclusion- If you opt for insurance under the Perth Upmarket policy, please note that we do not have cover for body products or toys and cannot include you under our policy.
You must agree to these terms and conditions to trade at Perth Upmarket. By registering, applying and paying for your stall you are agreeing to these terms and conditions.
Yes, you will need to reapply for each event. To keep the event fresh, we handpick retailers for each event. Acceptance into one market does not mean you have a permanent spot. Please check the application dates.
Sorry, once spots are confirmed with payment we do not offer refunds.
You will receive a floor plan and bump in info the week prior to the event. If you have a specific request please include it on your application. We will do our best to accommodate.
Food retailers must be a registered food business, comply with the market stall food regulations and will be required to complete an Application for Temporary Food Business with the local council. If you are a food retailer you need to make sure that you have the appropriate permits or are in the process of obtaining these permits. A food permit fee applies with the City of Perth. No refunds will be given to retailers who fail to get approval in time.
Eligible retailers need to reapply for each event. To apply, simply check the dates when applications are open. It is normally the day after the previous event for 2 weeks. Then LOG IN to our website in the top right hand corner and then click on the application form. The application form is a private page and only accessible for eligible retailers. To become an eligible retailer you must register first.
Yes, insurance is compulsory. If you have your own insurance, you may provide us with your policy details. Otherwise public and product liability insurance is available through us for just $33 per event. We are unable to cover toys or skincare products under our policy. If you offer either of these two you will need your own policy.
Unfortunately the market does not have access to any free wifi connections. You will need to use your mobile phone, eftpos machine or iPad for any paypal transactions.
Not all registrations are suitable. Due to the large volumes received, we are unable to provide individual feedback. We will send you advice via email about the status of your registration, either approved or declined. The email is a generic email that outlines some of the reasons why you may not move to the next stage. Registrations are normally assessed within 7 days. Registrations for eligibility can be submitted at any time.
Applications for events
Applications for events are normally assessed with 2 weeks of the closing date. Every applicant will receive an email advising if you have been successful in securing a space or placed on the reserves list. Not all spaces offered are taken up and as spaces are cancelled we work through the reserves list to reallocate spaces. The number of other retailers in your category can impact on your chance of acceptance as well as how closely you rate on our eligibility criteria. If you have not been successful, we suggest that you review our tips for applying for markets and if you have revised your stall presentation, branding, photos etc or, please make sure they are included with your application so we can reassess you. Applications are normally open for 2 weeks only. Please check and apply within the open dates.
We generally don’t allow the sharing of spaces. We may consider it if your brands aligns. There will be an additional fee to cover extra admin and the second website listing.
We don’t have formal change rooms. You may bring a changing tent and we do have a space both upstairs and downstairs where you can place a change tent and mirror.
We hire in ATM machines. They are located at the back southern corner of the Winthrop hall outside. Many customers bring cash, especially for small purchases and food. Make sure you bring plenty of change. If you would like to take credit card payments we suggest you look into the PayPal tap and go machines. Perth Upmarket has negotiated special transaction rates for our retailers.
Food retailers should notify us of power requirements on your application form. Power is limited and is carefully placed in safe positions to meet the requirements. There are some power outlets within the buildings for general use. Please ensure anything plugged in has a tagged and tested cord. Failure to do this will mean you will not be able to connect to power.
No, we will mark out your space and it’s up to you to bring all structures and equipment to make it look amazing! You will be able to unload near the venue.
Click here to download our tips for applying for markets.
How do I get involved?
Joining Perth Upmarket is a two step process:
Step 1: Register to see if you qualify to go on our eligible retailers list. Once you register you will receive a response within 7 days as to your eligibility.
Please note that not everyone that registers is deemed the right fit for this event and may not be accepted. You can register at any time.
Step 2: If you are approved for the eligible retailer list, including past retailers, log in with your username and password and then click on the application form to APPLY for the event. Applications are only open for a fixed time so please check dates and apply during these times. (see Key dates above)
Please note that we receive many more applications for the event than spots available and we limit the number of retailers in each category. To increase your chance of securing a spot please:
- complete all questions on the application form.
- provide professional photos to showcase your work.
- include a photo of a past stall set up or sketch of what you are proposing.