Become an Art Upmarket retailer
Art Upmarket Essential info- Read this first
The Art Upmarket is the second little sister to the Perth Upmarket brand, joining Wedding Upmarket as an offshoot niche event. The Perth Upmarket is Perth’s premier quarterly market for handcrafted wares coming into its 10th year. We are a West Australian business and our vision is to help creative small businesses, like yourself, to thrive. We want to provide you with tools and support to help you before, on the day and well past the event. Here is what we think sets us apart from other markets and retail art opportunities :
- Our event is FREE for the public to attend on Saturday, so we anticipate attracting thousands of savvy art enthusiasts.
- We don’t take any commission… yes you heard right! There is NO central desk. You will need to handle your own sales. We recommend you consider a mobile payment device like PayPal or Square.
- Perth Upmarket is held on the picturesque grounds of The University of Western Australia – centrally located between the north and south of Perth and boasting loads of free parking.
- There is plenty of free parking at UWA. Being a Perth event, you don’t need to worry about airfares, shipping costs or accomodation like interstate events… unless you’re from the country.
- We attract high quality sponsors that help elevate our event to extend our reach.
- We have a private Facebook Group community where you can build ongoing business relationships with other retailers and where we share information and tips to help you maximise your day.
- We are a professional events team and pride ourselves on being highly organised.
- Our aim is to make your day stress free and generate lots of sales.
- Our events are curated – we hand pick a diverse mix of over 50 artists in a range of categories and styles, to give customers choice and variety. You will be in good company.
- We spend hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars in executing our highly targeted marketing plan in order to attract the right people who are your target market are ready to do business with you.
- We care about our retailers and their success. Many of our Perth Upmarket retailers have worked with us and together for years and have become good friends.
- We include product and public liability insurance in the stall fee, so you dont need your own insurance to participate in this event.
The Art Upmarket is different to an art exhibition or a gallery. It is about connecting art enthusiasts directly with local artists. It is about meeting the artists and learning the story behind the art. We expect each artists to have a good selection of art for customers to purchase and take away across the whole day.
We understand that art is subjective. We will handpick artists that we feel are a good fit for the Perth Upmarket brand and limit the number in each category. This means that not everyone that registers or applies will be accepted. We have a two step process. All artists should register first for eligibility. If approved for the Eligible Retailers list, you may then apply for events. We do receive more applications than spots available.
More specifically, we are looking for artists that:
- create art here in WA. By art we mean original artwork or limited edition prints, three dimensional sculptures, fine art photographs, drawings and illustrations, decorative ceramics/glassware. We will not be considering items such as jewellery, functional art like everyday ceramics, mass produced graphic design etc… if unsure, please ask.
- have a high quality, unique and stylish product
- offers a product that we think will appeal to our target market
- can professionally merchandise and present their product at the event
- create the artwork themselves. At this stage we are not taking on agents or galleries as exhibitors but please contact us about Sponsorship opportunities.
- are active on social media and will help to promote the event
- have professional images that we can use to promote their presence at the event
- have enough stock to showcase across a 5 hour market.
We also consider where else the art is sold and how many other artists we have in each category.
NOTE: Not all registrations are approved. Based on the high number of applications we are unable to provide individual feedback on applications not accepted by our Art Upmarket. If you are not successful, you may only reregister only if you significantly change your offering.
The Art Upmarket will be held on:
- Saturday 6th April 2019 from 10am-4pm
at The University of Western Australia’s Winthrop Hall Undercroft.
We are now accepting Registrations to be added to the Eligible Retailer list. You can do this at any time. Once approved you may apply to retail at the event. The registration link is at the bottom of this page.
Applications opening soon…
Registration for the eligible retailers list now open.
Event applications open November, 2018.
Once offers are made, invoices must be paid within 14 days. Failure to do so will see your spot being reallocated.
As an Art Upmarket retailer, you will receive:
- Your own space to sell your art and talk to customers with NO COMMISSION payable. You are expected to be present at the event the whole time with plenty of stock to sell.
- A website listing in our retailer directory with a picture and link to your website to drive traffic to your site before and after the event.
- An image, website and business name listed on our market guide for customers to refer back to after the event.
- Tools and support to help you drive traffic to your stall and be successful on the day and after.
- Access to our private Retailers Only Facebook group.
- Option for additional paid promotion through our digital channels to our large database.
We are looking to expand the Art Upmarket in 2019 with up to 80 spaces if there is demand from suitable vendors. We will also have more coffee and food onsite.
The following fees are for all Art Upmarket are as follows. Prices may also change without notice.
Verandah outside 1.8mw x. 1.5md $360
Small inside 2mw x 1.5md $420
Medium inside 3mw x 1.5md $520
Large inside 3m + 3m= 6m wall L shape $950
Large outside with own marquee 3×3 $380
Food or coffee outside 3×3 own marquee $380
Backing board hire- $66 per 1m panel (3m high to ground)
Wire with 1 hook $8.25ea
Single hook hire $1.25ea
Lighting $27.50 each
We expect between 3000-5000 art enthusiasts to attend this event base on last years event. We have a detailed marketing plan that promotes the event as an art buying event, rather than an exhibition and attracts the right target market.
Other fees that may apply include:
Optional display board hire– We will place a bulk order for backing board prior to the event. The cost is $66 per 1m wide panel. The panels are 3m high to the ground and white. Panels will be delivered and set up in your space. Wire to hang from the top with 1 hook is $8.25 ea. Additional adjustable hooks are $1.65ea to hire. You can attach multiple hooks to the vertical wire.
New applicant fee – A one off $33 new applicant fee applies for all new applicants. It is normally added to the first invoice and covers the additional cost of establishing a new retailer file.
Insurance – Product and public liability is included in the stall fee. We do not cover your product for damage or theft.
PayPal Here – We have negotiated special rates for PayPal Here. A one off fee applies to purchase the machine and then pay as you go for transactions processed. Ask us for more information if you become an approved retailer.
Power – Limited power is available. The venue has good natural light and house lights. Additional lighting can be provided at $27.50 per light. Outdoor power for food vendors is $35 for up to 3 connections.
Food retailers – Must have a current food permit with the City of Perth.
Wrapping– a wrapping station will be provided. We will supply limited materials which you are welcome to use but we suggest you bring additional wrapping.
Art Upmarket Terms and Conditions
- All art offered for sale must be created and sold by the registered stallholder.
- You must be at the event, at your stall at all time (except for breaks of course)
- You must have enough stock to last for the whole event. You may put sold stickers on items if the customer is happy to collect at a later time.
- Only art listed on the current application form and approved by our administration team may be sold. If you wish to add new items to your stall, a request in writing with photos, must be approved. You may not sell other people’s goods.
- Copying the ideas and work of other artists may be in breach of creative copyright and is not in the spirit of the market. Any grievances must be in writing.
- Stalls cannot be transferred, sublet, franchised or sold to any other person, nor can they be shared without written approval.
- Stallholders must confine their displays and signs to the stall site and keep pathways clear for patrons and emergency exit.
- Raffle tickets may not be sold or competitions run unless pre approved by Perth Upmarket.
- No fixing or sticking anything to UWA building pillons or walls.
- Where a table is used, a floor length table cloth is required to cover all sides of any tables. Tables are not essential. Boxes, bags, crates etc must be out of sight.
- Stallholders using gas or electrical appliances must have a suitable fire extinguisher or fire blanket on site. Electrical leads must be tagged and tested by qualified tester every 3 months.
- Cancellation/ Refund policy – Notification of non-attendance of stalls is required. There are no refunds for cancellation or non attendance once invoice has been paid.
- No tents and covers allowed unless approved. Marquees must be white or navy and must be weighted down. Strictly no pegging into the ground.
- Stallholders are responsible for leaving their site and surrounding area clean and tidy. Boxes and cartons must be removed from market area – DO NOT use Market bins.
- It is the responsibility of the stallholder to trade in accordance with Market, State and Local Shire regulations. Food stallholders must be registered with each market’s local council and pay appropriate council permits. Obtaining and paying for a food permit before the event is the retailers responsibility.
- Loud product promotion by stallholders is not permitted. (including demonstration areas)
- Stallholders must be set up between 7am-10am (Sat) and ready to trade by 10am. Pack up must be completed by 5pm. Stalls must not pack up until the advertised closing time. This is both a safety issue and meeting our advertised obligations.
- Stallholder products and/or images of products and self may be used in various media to publicise Perth Art Upmarket, the event and future events. It is the retailers responsibility to ensure that any images provided are approved by the original photographer for our use. If permission is not sought any fees or royalties for the use of the image will be paid by the retailer.
- Strictly no parking or unloading on the footpath. No driving on the grass or non drop off areas. Stallholders must use the reserved bays allocated. No vehicles to be left onsite.
- Perth Upmarket has the right to withdraw the right to trade of any stallholder in dispute with Perth Upmarket or any persons. Right to trade will be only reinstated if the dispute is resolved to our satisfaction.
- Perth Upmarket accepts no responsibility for theft, loss or damages to persons, money or goods.
- Perth Upmarket takes no responsibility for weather conditions. Please come prepared for all weather conditions. Eg wind, rain, sun, heat etc.
- Insurance cover is compulsory. Proof of own insurance maybe be provided before the event or you may purchase one off event cover from us. Insurance exclusion – If you opt for insurance under the Perth Upmarket policy, please note that we do not have cover for body products or toys and cannot include you under our policy.
- The onus is on the retailer to make sure their products comply with the relevant Australian standards. Perth Upmarket takes no responsibility for products/retailers who fail to comply with these standards. It is vital that you are aware of the mandatory and legally binding safety standards associated with YOUR product and that they are labelled accordingly. All designers must check the relevant labeling guidelines/regulations pertinent to their product. Standards information can be found under the Product Safety Australia page on the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission website. Perth Art Upmarket has the right to reject any stallholder who they believe does not comply with the stated regulations.
You must agree to these terms and conditions to trade at Perth Upmarket. By registering, applying and paying for your stall you are agreeing to these terms and conditions.
Art Upmarket FAQ
Sorry, once spots are confirmed with payment we do not offer refunds.
Once your application is approved, usually within 2 weeks of the closing date, you will be informed of the size of your space. You will receive the actual stall position on a floor plan and bump in info the week prior to the event. If you have a specific request please include it on your application. We will do our best to accommodate.
Please remember that you are provided with a blank space. It is your responsibility to provide any structures such as backing boards, tables, easels, displays etc. It is always a good idea to mark out your space at home and do a trial set up before the event.
Food retailers must be a registered food business, comply with the market stall food regulations and will be required to complete an Application for Temporary Food Business with the local council as the council food safety offers are in attendance at every market and no refunds will be given to retailers who fail to comply or get approval in time.
This applies to exhibitors offering tastings as well as those selling food for consumption on the day.
Eligible retailers need to reapply for each event. To apply, simply check the dates when applications are open. Then LOG IN to our website in the top right hand corner and then click on the application form. The application form is a private page and only accessible for eligible retailers. To become an eligible retailer you must register first.
This is a pilot event. If it is successful we may consider more frequent Art Upmarket in 2019. The hours, stall fees and days will be reviewed as part of the pilot.
Unfortunately the market does not have access to any free wifi connections. You will need to use your mobile phone, eftpos machine or iPad for any paypal transactions.
Not all registrations are suitable. Due to the large number of registrations we receive, we are unable to provide individual feedback. We will send you advice via email about the status of your registration, either approved or declined. The email is a generic email that outlines some of the reasons why you may not be eligible to the next stage. Registrations are normally assessed within 7 days. Registrations for eligibility can be submitted at any time.
Applications for events
Applications for events are normally assessed within 2 weeks of the closing date or round offer. Every applicant will receive an email advising if they have been successful in securing a space or placed on the reserves list. Not all spaces offered are taken up and as spaces are cancelled we work through the reserves list to reallocate spaces. The number of other retailers in your category can impact on your chance of acceptance as well as how closely you rate on our eligibility criteria. Please check and apply within the open dates.
Click here to download our tips for applying for markets.
How do I get involved?
Joining Art Upmarket is a two step process:
Step 1: Register to see if you qualify to go on our eligible retailers list. Once you register you will receive a response within 7 days as to your eligibility.
Please note that not everyone that registers is deemed the right fit for this event and may not be accepted. You can register at any time.
Step 2: If you are approved for the eligible retailer list, including past retailers, log in with your username and password and then click on the application form to APPLY for the event. Applications are only open for a fixed time so please check dates and apply during these times. (see Key dates above)
Please note that we receive many more applications for the event than spots available and we limit the number of retailers in each category. To increase your chance of securing a spot please:
- complete all questions on the application form.
- provide professional photos to showcase your work.
- include a photo of a past stall set up or sketch of what you are proposing.